Guest Author: Chef Jon Cholakian
Chef Jon loves creating unique dishes with bold flavor and vibrant color. His gorgeous food presentations, works of art in themselves, are inspired by the night sky, hence the name G|astronomy.
Read on to find out:
So, now let’s hear from Jon himself:
So Why Moringa?
As a passionate chef, my aim is cram as much flavour as possible into every dish. To bring delicious, often luxurious tasting food to my clients. Healthy ingredients don't always aid this goal, but we can't deny that nutrition is important.
That's why it's exciting to find an ingredient which is a superfood, packed full of vitamins and antioxidants, which also lends itself to delicious plates of food in an original way…
Moringa really caught my eye last year when it was first introduced to me, and now I’m excited to share this rich sauce, which I hope you enjoy as much as I do. If you are unfamiliar with moringa, this recipe produces an earthy spinachy thicker sauce, where I find when a little sweetness is added, it delivers a really tasty, versatile accompaniment.
Moringa is a tree native to India, where my friends, the founders of MatchaAlternatives.com, spent a year where they enjoyed it in so many dishes. It is known as the ‘miracle tree’ given its bark, pods, leaves, nuts, seeds, tubers, roots, and flowers are all edible.
All the ingredients, ready to party...
How to Make Moringa Leaf Powder Sauce for Fish & Meat
So, let’s get started. This recipe is for 3-4 portions.
Moringa Sauce Ingredients
- 1 shallot (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 100ml brandy
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tsp Moringa powder
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 small knobs of butter
- A dash of double cream
Method & Steps for Moringa Sauce
- In a medium size saucepan, sweat down the shallot over a medium heat with a little oil.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring regularly.
- When the shallot is translucent and the garlic is cooked through, add the brandy to the pan and flambe. Once the flames have died down and disappeared, add the stock.
- Once the stock has reduced by half its volume, add the moringa powder and the honey. Stir.
- Now, we're going to 'monte' in the butter. If using a gas hob, turn it to its lowest setting. If using electric, turn it off. Add the cubes of butter, one at a time to the sauce. Stir continuously. Just before the last knob melts entirely, add the next. Repeat until all the butter has been incorporated. The sauce will now have thickened and have a nice sheen to it.
- Finally, stir in a dash of double cream and serve immediately. Enjoy!
|Step 1: Shallots
Step 2: Garlic
Step 3: Brandy, Flambe and Stock
Step 4: Moringa and Honey
Step 5: Monte the butter
Step 6: Heavy cream
Perfect Dishes to Pair with this Moringa Sauce
In the photo above, I've paired it with monkfish, mussels and pickled peppers. Sweetness, sharpness and a little crunchy texture, all bound together with this incredibly unusual moringa sauce. Delicious!
If you're not into seafood, it would go equally well with lamb or seasonal vegetables - foods that can hold their own with the powerful flavor of moringa. In a fricassee, for example. Or maybe to top-off a vegetable risotto! It brings a really unique flavour dimension, and of course, tons of goodness.
While we’re at it, here’s a...
Bonus! Quick Recipe for Monkfish
- Get hold of some monkfish fillet, or as a good alternative, cod loin.
- Wrap the fish tightly in pancetta or streaky bacon
- Pan fry on a high heat for colour and crispness
- Once you’ve achieved this on all sides, transfer to a hot oven at 180 degrees celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish.
- Once cooked, remove and allow to rest briefly
- Slice it into ‘cutlets’ or discs to serve
- Message me on IG @GastronomybyJon if you want more guidance or ideas!
A Note From Jon
As a bonus, if you missed it I can’t not mention my other recipe published here at MatchaAlternatives: my Dalgona Whipped Moringa Latte (+ Vegan Version)! Really fun to make and beautiful too with that rich green. Give it a go and tag me on IG @GastronomybyJon!
And talking of moringa drinks, given the density of protein, another guest blogger of @LooseLeafEllie IG bookstagram fame created a fantastic exercise protein smoothie Moringa Powder Vegan Protein Shake.
Finally, I know too that @MatchaAlternatives would love to hear from you and see this recipe in action. Tag them to get featured :-D
Make your moringa sauce now:
Each thirty minute track is perfect for studying, meditation, or just ambient music for a relaxing afternoon.
All of the information regarding the herbs, botanicals, minerals, vitamins, etc., is information drawn from traditional use data or academic research and should be regarded as such. If you, the reader, has a health or medical concern, please consult your healthcare professional. The information found here is not meant to diagnose, treat, prescribe or cure and has not been evaluated by the FDA. This information is for educational purposes only.